xmlns:og='http://ogp.me/ns# On the Banks of Squaw Creek: Turkey Tuesday: Cleaning the Brooder

Recent Posts

Posts on this website may contain affiliate links. For more information, please read my disclosure policy. Thank you for your support of this website and our family.

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Turkey Tuesday: Cleaning the Brooder

Biosecurity is a big deal on livestock farms these days.  And we do everything we can to be sure that we raise healthy animals.  Part of this includes cleaning between flocks to help ensure that any illnesses are not transmitted from one flock to the next.

Two weeks ago, on Turkey Tuesday, I showed you how we move the poults to the finishing barns.  Since then, Bart has been working to clean the brooder house for the next flock, which will arrive in about 2 weeks.

There are several steps that he follows to make sure the building is spic and span for the new birdies.


1.  Use a backpack blower to get the dust off the walls.  (Backpack blowers remind me of the Ghostbusters.)

2.  Use a skid steer to load the manure spreader with litter, and then split the litter between the two finisher barns – 6 loads in each barn.

3.  Wash water lines with soap using a power washer.

4.  Wash the building with soap using a power washer.

5.  Use two hand held squeegees and a skid loader to push the water out of the building.

6.  Then, the entire building was sprayed with disinfectant using the power washer.

7.  The feed pans get washed by hand.


The entire process takes between 7-9 days.  We prefer that the building sits empty for at least a week before the new sawdust comes.  The longer it sits empty, the better.

I’ve got one boring picture for you:


The feed lines, water lines, and heaters were all raised for step #5 (push water out of building.)  There was still some water out there because of the heat wave we’ve had the last few days – the concrete was sweating.  So now, the fans are on and it should be dry before the sawdust comes in the morning!